Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pirate's Life Isn't for Me

After several attempts at playing Pirate Storm, I have discovered that a pirate's life isn't for me.

Pirate Storm is designed to be a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) with some aspects of role play (MMORP) due to the fact that you take on the role of a pirate.  The biggest downside to this game is that since it is played online with now downloads required, the actual game is very simple and has limited functions.  The screenshots I showed in my previous post are an accurate representation of the game and its limits.  I sought out information and tutorials online to help me further understand the way in which the game worked, but continued to find broken link after broken link or membership only sites.  To a beginner user, this was an immediate turnoff and predictor of how the game would start to feel.

I was never actually able to accomplish any quests because the cannon-happy pirates would sail nearby and start a battle, which I would always lose in epic proportions.  When I felt like I was getting the hang of killing the sea creatures, my arsenal of weaponry was sufficiently depleted because of my half life status after being sunk.  Sure I could spend actual money and buy diamonds that would increase my power, my fleet, or just my ship size...but I don't really want to invest my hard-earned money in a fake arsenal.

The idea of pirate role play is what initially caught my attention, but then I quickly realized that I didn't actually feel like a pirate at all.  Instead, I was a wimpy ship sailing the crowded seas and being blown to pieces every few nautical miles.  It didn't feel like there was much opportunity to develop my skills...shoot cannons or be shot...with the latter happening more than I care to think about.

Overall, Pirate Storm couldn't keep my attention as an actual user.  I was easily frustrated by the lack of direction once you got past the tutorial to know how to become stronger or power up.  There wasn't that great of a "community" while playing it either.  If I'm going to play an MMO, then I want to feel like I'm doing it with other people and not be some lonely ship at sea.

Guess I'll have to find my gaming booty elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment